WHAT IS HORTICULTURE?
• A branch of a agriculture that specialises in fruits,veg,flowers &
ornamental shrubs & trees.
• Horticulture is the science, art, technology and business involved in
intensive plant cultivation for human use. It is practiced from the
individual level in a garden up to the activities of a multinational
corporation. It is very diverse in its activities, incorporating plants for food
fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, culinary herbs) and non-food crops
flowers, trees and shrubs, turf-grass, hops, grapes, medicinal herbs.
The word horticulture is modeled after agriculture and comes from the Latin
hortus "garden and cultūra "cultivation", from cultus, the perfect passive
participle of the verb colō "I cultivate".Hortus is cognate with the native
English word yard (in the meaning of land associated with a building) and
also the borrowed word garden.
• Horticulture has a very long history. The study and science of horticulture
dates all the way back to the times of Cyrus the Great of ancient Persia,
and has been going on ever since, with present day horticulturists such as
Freeman S. Howlett, the revolutionary horticulturist.The practice of
horticulture can be retraced for many thousands of years. The origins of
horticulture lie in the transition of human communities from nomadic
Horticulture primarily differs from agriculture in two ways.
• it generally encompasses a smaller scale of cultivation, using small plots
of mixed crops rather than large fields of single crops.
• Secondly, horticultural cultivations generally include a wide variety of
crops, even including fruit trees with ground crops.
When were plants first
Neolithic Age (7000 –
10000 years ago)
First farmers were
Prehistoric people were
• Hunters and gatherers.
• Collected seeds, fruits, and
By 3000 B.C. in Egypt
BRANCHES OF HORTICULTURE
• Olericulture Horticultural Therapy
• Pomology Landscape Horticulture
• Viticulture Interiorscaping
• Floriculture Nursery Management
• Turfgrass Management Green house Management
TYPES OF HORTICULTURE
Amateur Horticulture This is associated with growing for oneself – just
because of a personal inclination towards plants and nature. It’s a hobby,
requiring only interest & curiosity.
Commercial Horticulture To put it simply, this is growing for others. It’s
about earning a ‘living’ from that, by growing what the market demands,
and making money from it! It’s Professional, requiring expertise this time.
Gardening is a subset of the art & science of the horticulture in HOTEL .
• It is the implementation of the objective of horticulture to create a
natural environment. That lends natural beauty to the concrete structure
of a hotel.
There are a two types of gardens that a House keeping department
PRINCIPLES OF HORTICULTURE
There are 3 Principles –
TYPES OF GARDEN
OUT DOOR INDOOR
• FLOWER ARRANGMENT
• Water supply system
• Green house
• Garden shed
EXECUTIVE HOUSE KEEPER
ASST. HOUSE KEEPER