Can protocol implementation for data communication (2)
can protocol implementation for
Under the guidance of:
Internal guide: M.Niharika
External guide: G.purna chander rao
• WHAT IS CAN?
• WHY IT IS USED?
• WHERE IT IS USED?
• POWER SUPPLY
• BLOCK DIAGRAM
• RS 232
• CIRCUIT DIAGRAM
AIM OF THE PROJECT
• This main of this project is to implementation
for data communication based on CAN
• Design and develop micro controller based
• The bit rate is 10mbps.
• Built in a high secure way of communication.
CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK
• Implemented in 1983 officially released in 1986 at
SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers) .
• Introduced by Robert Bosch GmbH in Germany.
• It is asynchronous serial communication protocol
• Concept based on multi master
• CSMA/CA(carrier sense multiple access/collision
Communication as the primary aspect.
Security of the level of communication
Can be utilized in various different types of
An access control system that allows only
authorized persons to access the received data.
Why it is used…….?
• Existing protocols didn’t support multi-
• It is Text based communication.
• Low baud-rates even at higher distances.
• Poor error detection & management.
WHERE IT IS USED………??
• During the journeys at night times it may fail
to know about the outer environment such
as vehicle data. The can protocol provides
interaction between them.
• used in automobiles, Industries, rail ways..
• some hospitals use CAN to manage complete
• Also used in lifts, escalators, telescopes,
sportscameras, automatic door opens etc…….
Every node of the can bus is controlled
by can controller
Stores received bits serially untill entire
It transmits the message to a can
18 bit pin package
One shot mode ensures message
transmission is attempted only once
It provides protection to the can
It adopts signal level from the bus to
level of can controller
It converts the transmit signal
received from the can controller into
signal i.e. send on to the bus.
It supports 1mbps operation
Suitable for 12v &24v
DESCRIPTION OF AT89S52
• Compatible with MCS-51 products
• 8kb of in system reprogrammable flash
• Fully static operation 0HZ to 33MHz
• 3 level program memory lock
• 4.0v to 5.5 v of operating range
•It is also called as the TTL
•Operates with single 5v
• 2 drivers and 2 receivers.
•Requires low supply current
Devices which uses serial cables for
their communication are split into 2
DTE(data transmission encrypt)
A “space” logic 0 will be between
A “mark” logic 1 will be between -
The region between +3v&-3V is
Usage of CAN protocol in vehicles
can protocol is multi master broad cast serial bus.
Message based protocol.
Can protocol is used in automotive& auto mobiles.
Low baud rates even at the higher distance.
Efficient error detection& protection management.
Flex CAN (an alternate implementation).
Flex RAY (a possible future direction)
Wiring complexity is
Capability to solve
CAN stations can be
added and removed
Using of twisted pairs
make this protocol easy.
• The experimental results confirm the excellent
performance and robustness of the CAN protocol
when used in industrial applications. The main
advantages can be summarized as: reduced cabling
(by the use of several instruments over the same bus),
error detection capabilities, high immunity to external
noise signals (present in industrial processes),
robustness, capability to solve bus access collisions
without any retransmission requirements, distributed
control and hot-swapability…
• The CAN bus may be used in vehicles to connect
engine control unit and transmission, or (on a
different bus) to connect the door locks, climate
control, seat control, etc. Today, almost every new
passenger car manufactured in Europe is equipped
with at least one CAN network. Also used in other
types of vehicles, from trains to ships, as well as
in industrial controls, CAN is one of the most
dominating bus protocols – maybe even the
leading serial bus system worldwide.
This project can protocol implementation for data
communication has been successfully designed and
tested. Can protocol implementation has many
advantages and it can be used in various functions
such as data communication in a very secured
manner and is also very useful in private messages
and also used in various government