• What is Workplace Ethics?
• Good Examples of Workplace
• How to Encourage Good
• Benefits of Good Workplace
• Examples of Poor Ethics
• Ethics Materials
• Ethical Culture
What is Workplace Ethics?
• Ethics is a set of principles of right conduct.
• Rules of conduct that govern behaviour.
• Standards of behaviour that is acceptable.
The application of moral principles, standards of behavior, or set of
values regarding proper conduct in the workplace as individuals
and in a group setting.
Workplace ethics reflects an organisation`s set of values regarding
proper conduct in the workplace.
Corporate or workplace ethics is caught more that it is taught.That
is, employees learn their standards and values from observing what
others do, not what they say. This is as true in business as it is at
•Corporate values are instilled by the leadership.
•Workplace ethics involves ALL members of an organisation, and
the company in her dealings with employees and other
Ethics allow you to distinguish the difference
between right and wrong.
Every Company is Unique
Organizational ethics: Sets of formal and informal standards of
conduct that people use to guide their behaviour at work.
To appreciate workplace ethics, we look at relationships at work:
Communication is key among management, employees, and
customers in order for respect to be extended to each person
within the organization, and promote healthy relationships.
If employers and employees do not consistently follow a high
standards of conduct, companies cannot prosper.
What are some examples of good
ethics in the workplace?
•Be accountable for your actions
•Think critically to be able to solve
• Stay professional
• Take pride in your work
• Immediately attempting to correct an issue
• Set the example
How to Encourage Good
Ethics in the Workplace
• Fair consequences
• Fair treatment
• Have plans of action
• Communication (be clear and consistent)
• Constructive feedback
• Have office policies
Benefits of Good Ethics in the
• Desirable work environment
• Produce results
• Build good references
• Good office morale
• Growth and expansion
What are some examples of
poor ethics in the workplace?
• Illegal practices.
• Making decisions for your own personal gain.
• Lack of communication.
• Withholding information.
• Ignoring procedures and policies.
• Abusing confidentiality agreements.
• Falsifying information.
• Poor customer services
• Abusing computer privileges
• Being unpunctual; poor attendance
• Ignoring problems
• Taking on roles that are not under your job title
What people see their organizational leaders,
managers, and co-workers do on the job can
influence their own views of what is acceptable
or unacceptable behaviour.
• Code of conduct/ethics
• Decision methods
• Your culture
The “Six Pillars of Character”
emphasize various values.
These character traits can help you to be ethical.
Honest – Reliable – Reputable
Tolerant – Considerate – With manners
Self control – Self discipline – Accountable
Just – Reasonable – Impartial
Kind – Compassionate – Giving
Obey – Respect – Protect
What Is an Ethical Culture?
• It is an environment that makes it easy to do the right thing and makes it
difficult to do the wrong thing.
• It's the way things really work.Workplace culture includes how employees
dress, how they work with customers and how they interact with their
Companies that work to build and maintain ethical workplace cultures are
more financially successful and have more motivated, productive
employees, studies have shown.